By Beth White
These coffee and cream cupcakes make a great alternative to your afternoon tea!
Preparation time – 30 mins (plus cooling time)
Cooking time – 15 to 20 mins
For the cupcakes –
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 85g caster sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- 200ml water
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
For the topping –
- 225ml whipping cream
- Cocoa powder (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and place 12 cupcake cases (paper or silicone) in a muffin pan.
- In a saucepan, place the coffee powder, honey, sugar, butter and water and heat gently until the sugar has fully dissolved. Make sure to keep stirring throughout.
- Bring to the boil and then once boiling, reduce the heat, simmering for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl. Leave it until cool.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the milk and stir until dissolved.
- Check the mixture in the heatproof bowl has cooled and sift the cocoa powder and flour in.
- Add the milk and bicarbonate of soda to the mixture, as well as the egg. Beat together until smooth.
- Divide the mixture up between the cupcake cases.
- Put the cupcakes in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. The cupcakes will be ready when firm to the touch.
- Once out of the oven, put the cupcakes on a wire cooling rack.
- To make the topping, add the cream to a bowl and keep whisking until it is firm enough to be piped.
- Pipe the cream onto the cupcakes in a spiral peak. Dust with cocoa powder.
Make sure to keep the cupcakes in the fridge until you are ready to serve because otherwise, the cream will melt. Enjoy!