By Emily Braybrooke
Take your chocolate brownies to the next level with this cappuccino inspired recipe. The sweet white chocolate icing mimics the froth you get on a cappuccino and pairs perfectly with the coffee flavoured brownie.
Makes 15 squares
Preparation time- 15 minutes
Baking time- 30-35 minutes
For the brownies-
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 225g softened butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten before adding to mixture)
- 3 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 3 tbsp hot water (cooled)
For the white chocolate icing-
- 115g white chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 55g softened butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 175g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by preheating your oven to 180c and grease and line an 11 x 7 inch rectangular baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl.
- Add the butter, sugar, beaten eggs and cooled coffee.
- Beat well until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into your tin, pushing the mixture to the edges and smooth out the top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the brownies have risen and are firm to the touch.
- Leave the brownies to cool in the tin for ten minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack, removing the greaseproof paper. Wait until the brownies are completely cooled and topped with icing before cutting into squares.
- While the brownies are cooling, we can start on the topping.
Place the chocolate, butter and milk in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until all the chocolate is melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool just a little before slowly sifting in the icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until silky and smooth.
- Spread the icing over the top of the brownies and top with a dusting of cocoa powder, just like a cappuccino!
- Cut your brownies into squares and enjoy.
This recipe is an adaptation from the baking book ‘1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & other tempting treats‘.