By Danielle Hoe
This recipe incorporates coffee and chocolate to create the perfect balance of indulgence and coffee flavour in the shape of hand sized muffins, perfect to share with friends and family.
Who doesn’t like coffee and chocolate?
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 20 minutes
- 140g caster sugar
- 140g unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 140g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp of instant espresso coffee mixed with water
- chocolate coated coffee beans to decorate
For the icing-
- 200g icing sugar
- 200g unsalted butter
- 150g of milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170°c and line a muffin tray with muffin cases
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and creamy
- Then add an egg one at a time along with 1 table spoon of flour, then sieve in the rest of the flour after incorporating the egg.
- Now beat in the espresso and then spoon in the mix into the cases and place into the oven to bake for 17 minutes.
- Bring the muffins out when they are golden brown and springy to the touch and transfer them onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing beat the butter until light and creamy and then add the icing sugar 1 tbsp at a time.
- Then melt the chocolate in the microwave by breaking it up and heating for 20 seconds at a time. Make sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn
- Then mix into the sugar and icing sugar mix until fully incorporated
- Pipe your icing onto the top of each cake and then add a chocolate covered coffee bean to finish
A similar recipe for these muffins can be found on the BBC Good Food website.